Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link. Read my full disclosure policy here.
I love a good sheet pan meal because they are so easy to throw together and are ready in 30 minutes or so depending on the meat you are using. This lemon chicken sheet pan meal is super quick and is virtually mess free. You can even prep it all the night before. I actually recommend doing this so that the meat has time to marinate which will totally enhance the flavor.
This is a perfect meal for a busy weekday. Chicken drumsticks are conveniently available at the grocery stores skinless or with skin on. For my recipe I took the skin off only because my kids are not fans of it. However with skin on, it can come out very crisp and tasty. Unfortunately I have to cater to my kids. It just makes life easier sometimes!
Keto and Vegetable Side Options with the Lemon Chicken
This lemon chicken and peppers meal is Keto friendly because its low carb. Peppers are one of the lowest carb vegetables, but this meal also works well with carrots, cauliflower, asparagus, brussels sprouts, broccoli etc.
You can definitely add root vegetables like potatoes cut into wedges and sweet potatoes to make it a complete meal for the family, but they are higher in carbs.
How to Cook the Perfect Chicken That Isn’t Dry
There is nothing worse than serving a dry chicken to your family. The key to not drying out your chicken is a good marinade. Marinating your chicken with flavorful spices, lemon and oil is key. Make sure that it is well coated by massaging it into the meat. If you do not have the time to marinate over night, allow it to sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes.
How to Ensure the Chicken is Fully Cooked
My recommendation is to purchase a meat thermometer. It comes in handy when making all sorts of different meats. You will know when your chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, take the chicken out of the oven and take the largest piece of chicken out on to a plate and cut into it. If the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink it should be safe to consume. However a meat thermometer would be the safest way of checking.
Storing the Leftover Lemon Chicken
Once the chicken is completely cooled, place it in an air tight container and it can stay in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Freezing the Leftover Lemon Chicken
You can definitely freeze the leftovers. Once the chicken is completely cooled, place it in an air tight container or in a freezer bag and freeze it. It can last in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. When you are ready to eat the chicken, allow it to thaw out before reheating it in the microwave.
Easy Lemon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
Tender, juicy and flavorful sheet pan chicken and vegetables
- 2 lbs of chicken drumsticks skin on or off
- 1 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1 tsp dry oregano seasoning
- 1 tbsp dry basil seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 10 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 large onion cut into wedges
- Lemon and zest of 1 lemon plus one lemon thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 Red pepper cut length wise
- 1 Yellow pepper cut length wise
- Pat your chicken drumsticks dry and season well with salt. If using chicken with skin on remember to salt under the skin as well.
- Place chicken into a large zip lock bag and set it aside.
- In a bowl combine all the spices, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil and pour it into the zip lock bag.
- Massage and toss the chicken well to coat the chicken in the marinade.
- Let the chicken sit in the marinade for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator for best results.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Dump the contents of the zip lock bag on to a rimmed baking sheet and arrange the chicken along with the red and yellow cut up peppers.
- Place the lemon slices in-between the chicken drumsticks
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked (internal temperature should be 165 degrees F with a thermometer insert)
- If using chicken with skin on, switch to broil for a few minutes once chicken is done to allow the skin to crisp (1-2 minutes – keep an eye on it while its broiling).
Try this Sheet Pan Plum Roasted Chicken Recipe for another delicious sheet pan dinner idea.
6 thoughts on “Easy Lemon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner”