Brigadeiros are bite-sized fudge balls traditionally made for birthday parties or any festive occasion in Brazil. I was at my friend’s son’s birthday party when I was first introduced to Brigadeiros and it was love at first sight. They just looked so beautiful and they taste amazing!
Brigadeiros Only Have 3 Main Ingredients
I quickly found out how simple these treats were to make with only a few simple ingredients (condensed sweetened milk, cocoa powder, and a little butter). I was intrigued by the fact there were 3 main ingredients and they are rarely made any other way. Of course there are all kinds of possible variations. For example, you can crush up cookies and put them in the center.
I knew I wanted to make them myself, especially since I started seeing them everywhere being sold in fancy boxes with a heavy price tag. For a few simple ingredients, I couldn’t justify paying so much for a few balls of fudge.
Brigadeiros are easy to make, but they do require patience and all your attention. But don’t let this scare you! I made them in my first try and they tasted amazing! Now that I know how quickly they can be whipped up, I have to have a lot of self-control! I also try not to have all the ingredients on hand at all times because I would be tempted to make them over and over again. LOL
Brigadeiros are Great for Parties
What I love about this treat is that you can personalize them with toppings to fit the theme of any party or occasion. For example, just by changing up the color of the sprinkles, you can make them more festive. By using green, white and red spinkles, Brigadeiros can be a great addtion to any Christmas party. Or how about a baby shower by using pink or blue sprinkles! Red for Valentine’s Day! Ok clearly I can go on!
Of course there are options other than sprinkles to roll the Brigadeiros in. For example you can try shredded cocount, nuts or white chocolate shavings.
Make these at your next gathering or holiday dinner and they will seriously be the most popular item on the dessert table. They will be enjoyed by all ages. One thing I have to stress is that you try at least one before putting them out for your guests because I can say with certainty that it will be the first dessert to go.
Makes: 24 Brigadeiros
Prep Time: 5-10 mins
Cook Time: 15 -20 mins
1 (14oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
4 Tbsp cocoa powder (sifted)
2 Tbsp butter
Good Quality Chocolate Sprinkles for coating or finely shredded coconuts (or any other colored sprinkle or topping of your choice)
1. In a small sauce pan pour in and mix the condensed milk, cocoa powder, salt and butter.
2. Take the pan over to the stove and put it over med-low heat.
3. Constantly stir the mixture so it doesn’t burn until the mixture thickens. For a tip to know if your Brigaderios are ready is to take your stirring spoon and run it through the middle of the mixture. If it takes a while for the mixture to come back together then it’s done cooking.
Why are my Brigadeiros Sticky?
If this is an issue, it means the Brigadeiros have not cooked for long enough. I recommend you cook it for longer until it properly thickens and keep stirring.
4. Transfer your Brigaderios onto a plate and let it cool at room temperature
5. Once cooled lightly grease your hands with butter and you are ready to roll your Bridagerios into balls
6. Roll them into a bowl or plate with sprinkles of your choice
7. Place the finished Brigaderios into paper/foil candy or mini cupcake cups.