The prep time for this dish can be 15 minutes or less – depending on how fast you are with your can opener. LOL. This is a perfect meal to make on a busy weeknight when you don’t have a lot of time and the kids are hangry.
Spanish rice is a healthy meal and is a versatile option as well. You can serve it as a side or as the main course, and you can add a protein like chicken or fish.
I often add cut up Tilapia Fish to make it into a one-pan meal. My husband can’t go without having some sort of meat in all of his meals. I personally like it without any added meat because the beans are so satisfying and filling.
Hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does.
Serves: 4 – 6 people
Prep Time: 15 mins or less
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 cup of uncooked rice (I like to use Basmati rice)
14 oz can of diced tomatoes (*reserve 1 cup for later use, see directions)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
6 cloves garlic minced
1 med hot pepper (optional)
15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
½ cup of canned corn
1 1/2 tsp salt
1tsp chili powder
¼ cup fresh oregano or 1 tsp dry oregano
¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
You can add 1 -1 1/2 cups of boneless, skinless chicken or fish of your choice if you want to include meat into the Spanish rice.
Subscribe below to access free coloring pages!
- Boil rice in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes and let sit for 5 min
- Separate the diced tomatoes and the juice/liquid from the can by draining the tomato juice. You need to measure 1 cup of juice, if not enough then top up with water.
- Heat oil in a pan on med high heat, sauté onion, garlic and pepper if using for 1-2 minutes.
- If you are adding chicken or fish to this dish then add cut up pieces of the meat next. If not then go straight to adding beans, corn, salt cumin, and chili powder to the onion/garlic mixture stir for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Pour in the cup of tomato juice, oregano, and cilantro let it simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Combine the cooked rice to the tomato mixture and heat up the rice well 2 minutes
- Stir in the diced tomatoes left from the can and cover for 1 – 2 minutes
- For presentation I like to add a little more cilantro on top before serving (a dollop of sour cream goes really well if you added a little spice to the dish with the hot peppers)
If you enjoy flavorful rice dishes as much as I do, check out this recipe for Pakistani Pilau Rice Dish.
A coloring page related to the recipe and activity sheets found below can be printed for free. The activities included in the bundle are:
- Ingredients word search
- Ingredients word unscramble
- Word maker using the words SPANISH RICE
- Kitchen scavenger hunt
- Hidden pictures page
- Cryptogram joke
- Scavenger hunt with a different theme