My kids love eating anything with pasta and noodles. I love how excited they get when I tell them that we are having Beef Stroganoff for dinner. It’s sort of a happy cool mom moment which doesn’t come often and certainly doesn’t last long either haha. The feeling of “I’ve finally nailed dinner and made everyone happy” is a wonderful mom achievement.
Now a classic Beef Stroganoff is not made with ground beef. This Russian dish is traditionally made with sautéed pieces of beef. My version using ground beef is frankly a quicker and easier meal to make, which is great for our busy weeknights.
This dish is flavor-filled with a thick creamy gravy and is so delicious when served over egg noodles. The best part is that it literally takes 30 minutes to make so when I make this dish, I am one happy mom.
Sometimes it’s the simple dishes which are budget friendly that wow the crowd. To me a creamy noodle dish screams comfort food. This dish is not only a kid pleaser but its adults approved as well.
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion diced
2 cloves of garlic
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp four
1 ½ cup beef broth
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Salt and pepper to taste
Egg noodles cooked according to package
1. Begin boiling water for egg noodles according to its package directions
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef with onions and garlic until cooked
3. Drain grease from beef and transfer it over to a plate and set aside.
4. Bring pan back to stove over medium heat, add butter to the pan and let it melt. Once melted add flour and stir until the flour absorbs all the butter.
5. Pour in the broth and whisk vigorously to remove any lumps.
6. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil until sauce thickens slightly.
7. Reduce temperature back to medium and whisk in sour cream and mushroom soup until well incorporated.
8. Add ground beef back into mixture and reheat.
9. Add salt and pepper and season to your liking. If it gets too thick, just add a little more beef broth.
Serve over egg noodles and enjoy!