These pink velvet cupcakes have a velvety smooth texture and are perfect for any occasion. They are kid and adult approved and best of all, the recipe calls for simple ingredients and is made all in one-bowl.
So, you can allow your kids to go crazy with their toppings or you can keep them simple with the delicious cream cheese frosting which just looks gorgeous on its own.
The pink color makes these cupcakes a little more fun, but the food coloring can be changed or omitted all together.
Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link. Read my full disclosure policy here.
If you are looking for more desserts the kids will love and can help decorate, check out these recipes!
Pink Velvet Cupcakes with Buttermilk
I have now incorporated buttermilk into my baking regularly. I just find that buttermilk makes cakes and cupcakes light, moist and tender.
One thing about buttermilk is that you may not always have it on hand, and you will probably need to buy at least a carton when you only need half a cup or so.
The good news is, you don’t have to buy buttermilk! You can easily make it with items you may already have.
How to Make Buttermilk
Pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar into a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the 1 cup with milk. Stir and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes until you see it start to curdle.
Give it a stir and your buttermilk is ready.
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup room temperature unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
6 – 8 drops of pink food coloring (or any other colour you prefer)
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
4 oz cream cheese
½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp of milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with papers
1. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar)
2. Add the butter and mix until well incorporated
3. Add eggs one at a time
4. Add vanilla and buttermilk and mix until well combined
5. Add pink food coloring and stir well until color is well incorporated.
6. Scoop batter 2/3 full and bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until insert comes out clean
Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:
1. Add cream cheese and butter to the mixing bowl and cream until smooth.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, then add 1 – 2 Tbsp of milk.
3. Fill piping bag and decorate the cupcakes as desired
Enjoy! Looking for more simple recipes to make? Take a look at our Recipe Roundup for recipes that you can even make with your kids.