I love soup and I love Mexican food, and when I make this Mexican soup, I can enjoy the best of both worlds! This soup is hands down one of my all-time favorite soups. It screams comfort food to me and it can’t be comfort food if it’s not an easy dish to put together.
This soup is easy to make and is the perfect meal for a busy weeknight, especially on a cold night. Where I live, it’s pretty cold at the moment and there is nothing like a hearty, chunky soup to warm me up. But honestly, this soup is wonderful for any time of the year.
This Mexican soup recipe is so simple and easy that you can have dinner on the table for the entire family in no time. There isn’t much to it, it’s just like any one pot meal. Just toss all the ingredients together and let it simmer away.
Mexican Chicken Soup
This is a Mexican style chicken soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 large cloves of garlic minced
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 14 ounce can of Black Beans (rinse and drained)
- 1 cup can of corn (rinse and drained)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno (if using). Cook until onions are soft and lightly browned.
- Add celery, crushed tomatoes, and all the spices and stir until well combined.
- Add chicken and broth and let simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the cooked chicken and place it on a plate and shred it. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Add canned corn and beans, then chopped cilantro leaves and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve hot in a bowl.
Optional but highly recommended toppings for the soup:
Sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, lime juice, chopped
cilantro and broken tortilla chips to garnish
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Check out this Curried Butternut Squash Soup recipe, Simple Cabbage Soup recipe.
2 thoughts on “Easy Mexican Soup with Chicken”