There is nothing more satisfying for a busy family than getting a healthy home cooked meal on the table, especially after a hectic weekday. What I love about this chicken with roasted red pepper cream sauce is that it feels formal, like something that would be served to you at a restaurant!
Grilled chicken and mushrooms are drowned in this creamy red pepper sauce which is then garnished with goat cheese and fresh parsley.
Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link. Read my full disclosure policy here.
The secret to this meal is the roasted red pepper paste which can be found in your local grocery store. If you can’t find it, don’t worry! You can always make your own pepper paste by purchasing a jar of roasted red peppers in oil and grinding them up with a few cloves of garlic in a food processor. This extra step will only add a few extra minutes to the preparation process which isn’t too much of a hassle.
Try some of our other chicken recipes!
What Can I Substitute Goat Cheese With?
If you are not a fan of goat cheese, you may want to consider a goat cheese substitution. You can always use feta cheese instead to give this dish a milder taste.
If you are planning on serving this dish at your next gathering, I would hold off on the garnishments until your guests arrive to give them the choice of goat or feta cheese and allow them to have control over how much cheese they would like garnished over their meal.
Can You Make This Dish Ahead Of Time?
Yes, especially if you cannot find jarred red pepper paste and need to make your own. You can prepare the paste ahead of time and keep it in an air tight jar or Tupperware for 1-2 weeks. However, I would not recommend grilling the chicken ahead of time, the grilling process doesn’t take long and freshly grilled chicken will always taste better than when reheated.
Can I Use Chicken Breast Instead Of Chicken Thighs?
Using chicken breast for this recipe will not change the flavors of this dish whatsoever. So if you are on a low fat diet, by all means go ahead and substitute the breast for the thighs. I personally prefer the thighs as I find that it cooks quicker and if you have leftovers the thigh cut of meat is more moist and tender, especially when reheating.
Can This Chicken Red Pepper Recipe Be Keto?
Yes this chicken and roasted red pepper cream sauce is Keto friendly. I would typically serve it with rice, but for Keto serve this meal with cauliflower rice.
How To Make Chicken With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
2 tbsps. Coconut oil
1.5 lbs boneless/skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
250 g small button mushrooms halved
2 cloves of garlic
250 ml Jared Roasted Red Pepper Paste
1 cup Heavy Cream
4oz. Goat Cheese
Fresh parsley for garnish
1. In a large frying pan on medium heat, melt coconut oil and pan fry chicken seasoned with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
2. Grill chicken for 10 minutes on each side until chicken is fully cooked. Transfer the cooked chicken on to a plate and set aside.
3. Pan fry the cut up mushrooms in same pan with some garlic and sautee until tender and brown.
4. Add the roasted red pepper paste and stir in the heavy cream and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the chicken back into the sauce and let the flavors infuse for another 5 minutes.
6. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and goat cheese.
- 2 tbsps. Coconut oil
- 1.5 lbs boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 250 g small button mushrooms halved
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 250 ml Jared Roasted Red Pepper Paste
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 4oz. Goat Cheese
- Over medium-high heat melt coconut oil.
- Season the thighs with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Once the oil has melted, place the chicken thighs into the skillet. Grill for 10 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked.
- Once Chicken is fully grilled, remove from skillet and place on a plate and set aside.
- Add to same skillet mushrooms and garlic. If needed add a little more coconut oil and sauté the mushrooms until browned and tender.
- Add red pepper paste and cream to the mushrooms and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return the grilled chicken thighs back into the skillet and let it simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste
- Garnish with fresh parsley and goat cheese before serving.