Chicken Mulligatawny Soup is a popular soup that originated in Indian cuisine and has since become a favorite in many parts of the world. The name “Mulligatawny” actually comes from the Tamil language and means “pepper water.”
Chicken Mulligatawny is a hearty and flavorful soup made with spices, vegetables, and chicken. The soup typically includes ingredients like curry powder, garlic, and coconut milk, which gives it a unique taste and aroma. This soup is so comforting, and it is also a healthy option that is packed with nutrients. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy meal or something to warm you up on a cold evening, chicken Mulligatawny soup is a delicious and satisfying option.
More soup recipes:
How to Make Chicken Mulligatawny Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 14 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 small apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- In a large pot heat oil over medium- high heat.
- Add chopped vegetables and garlic to the pot and season with salt and pepper, stir and cook for about 3 minutes until the onions and carrots soften and the garlic
- Add the chicken breast to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 – 7 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink.
4. Add oregano, turmeric, curry powder and garam masala and stir. Dust flower over everything and stir again.
5. Add chicken broth, rice and coconut milk and lower the heat to a medium low-heat and let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
6. Pull out the chicken breast and place it on a plate or a cutting board. Then with two forks shred the chicken by pulling it apart. Add the chicken back with the apples to the pot and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
7. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.