Image Credit: Canva.
Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the autumn festivals and it wouldn’t be one without a caramel apple treat. Caramel apples are loved by the kids and the young at heart. What better treat is there then apple muffins with streusel topping, drizzled with caramel sauce to snack on with a warm cup of tea!
I kid you not, I have baked these caramel apple muffins with the windows open and have had not only the kids come running in from playing outside but also the neighbors comment on the delicious smell!
So what’s the secret to a really good apple muffin?
The secret is to use the appropriate apple for baking. Your apples should be crisp, juicy, and full of flavor. I love using apples that are tart such as Granny Smith apples in this recipe because it adds a more familiar taste to the caramel apples you are used to having at the fall fairs.
The crumbly streusel topping is delicious and adds extra texture and flavor to the muffins. Not only is it flavorful, it makes the muffins look more beautiful. When you make the streusel and sprinkle it over the muffins before baking, make sure you give it a firm press to make it stick to the muffins. I find that if I don’t take this extra step, the streusel can easily flake off of the muffins.
If you are looking for some other fruit filled delicious desserts, try this Mango Cobbler with Cake Mix – and substitute just about any fruit!
What sort of caramel candy should I use for this recipe?
The best caramel candy for this recipe would be a soft and chewy caramel like Werthers Chewy or Kraft Caramels Original. These caramel candies can be also melted and drizzled over the Streusel to give it a more caramel taste.
Can I make the caramel apple streusel muffins healthier?
The best way to make these muffins healthier would be to leave the streusel and caramel out of the recipe. This will leave you with an apple cinnamon muffin that will still be delicious.
How do you store these muffins?
To keep these muffins fresh, I like to cool them completely before placing them in an air tight container. I prefer to keep them out at room temperature however for no more than for 2 days. After that they can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze the apple muffins?
Yes, you certainly can freeze these muffins and they can last for up to 5 months in the freezer if stored in proper freezer bags or air tight containers.
Thaw them out in the microwave if you cannot wait and eat them warm as I find that they taste best warmed up.
Can I omit the caramel?
Of course you can omit the caramel candies. If you are not a fan of caramel you will still have a delicious apple muffins. This muffin is flavorful all on its own as it has a slight hint of cinnamon.
Can I add nuts to these apple streusel muffins?
The joys of baking is to follow the recipe bones precisely and then you can add your flavors to make it your own. If you are a fan of a little more crunch you can add some of your favorite chopped nuts to the topping or in the batter as you like.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup apple chopped (1 apple peeled and chopped)
- 12 chewy caramel candies chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 quick oats
- 3 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 half and half cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves
- In another bowl whisk the egg, milk, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until well incorporated
- Fold in the apples and caramels
- Fill your muffin tin ¾ full.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ingredients for the streusel
- Top batter with streusel topping
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan before removing the muffins onto a cooling rack.
- Top the muffins with caramel drizzle
Caramel Sauce Drizzle
1. To make the caramel drizzle take the soft and chewy caramel candies and unwrap them (use approx. 135 g of caramels)
2. Place the candies in a microwave safe dish and add ¼ cup of half and half cream
3. Microwave on high for 1 minute and stir well
4. Place back in the microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again. Continue the process of stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.