It’s the weekend and all you want to do is have a movie night with friends and family, or maybe its game night. Whatever the occasion, (even if it’s just you alone, I won’t judge) air fryer jalapeno poppers will always be a crowd pleaser and the perfect casual appetizer.
This jalapeno poppers recipe is so simple that you will never buy them ready made from your grocery freezers again. I don’t care how lazy you say you are, once you taste these there is no comparison or going back to the frozen ones again!
I love a good spicy snack, and these definitely satisfy my cravings.
Looking for more appetizer? Check out these low-carb mini eggplant pizza bites
Note: Affiliate links may be used in this post. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate link. Read my full disclosure policy here.
How hot are jalapeno peppers?
Here is a quick guide before you buy or pick the jalapeno peppers yourself:
Do you see stretch marks? No mamas, not your yourself, on the jalapenos only (LOL). The more markings the pepper has (white lines and flecks running in the direction of the length of the pepper) the hotter the jalapeno peppers will be.
So if you are looking to avoid the intense hotness, pick jalapenos which are smoother and with the least amount of marking on them.
However if you are feeling brave and want to select the hottest peppers look for the stretch marks and ones that are red in color, these will be the spiciest jalapenos so choose wisely!
How do you cut a jalapeno pepper?
Caution! Jalapenos are HOT! Ok, so whatever you do, PLEASE, PLEASE don’t cut jalapenos without wearing gloves, and for goodness sakes, do not touch your face. Yes I learned the hard way. Also the oils in the jalapeno or any chili peppers can cause burns on your hands.
The spice in jalapenos is found in the seeds and in the inner membranes. To reduce the amount of heat in your recipe, clean out all the light colored inner membrane and seeds. However if you like lots of heat leave a little bit of the membrane.
1. Wash and pat dry the jalapeno peppers
2. Put gloves on
3. Cut the jalapenos lengthwise
4. Using a small spoon, scoop out the seeds and membrane
How do you make jalapeno poppers?
· Use fresh jalapenos and cut them in half lengthwise as instructed above. On a side note: if you are making these for a gathering and are not sure if all your guests can tolerate any spice, make some using baby bell pepper in any colors.
· Make the cream cheese filling: Cream cheese is the main filling with some added shredded sharp cheddar as it adds more flavor. I also like to add some taco seasoning in the filling for a little extra flavor.
Optional: Top the jalapeno peppers with a sprinkle of bread crumbs to give them a little extra crunch. I made mine without however both options are very delicious.
Air fryer jalapeno poppers cook time?
I baked mine in my Ninja dual air fryer at 400 F for 6-8 minutes.
If you do not have an air fryer you can place them on a lined baking sheet and set the oven for 400 F and bake for 20 minutes, checking at the 15 minute mark to make sure that the pepper is soft enough and the cheese has melted. You do not want them too soft or too hard.
Can you make jalapeno poppers ahead of time?
If you are having a big gathering or just like to have them for whenever the craving strikes, these jalapeno poppers can be made a couple of days in advance and stored in an air tight container. You can even prepare them ahead of time and freeze them unbaked.
You can cook them from frozen by adding an extra 5 minutes to the baking time.
Easy Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 to 8 minutes
Yield: 24 jalapeno poppers
- 12 fresh jalapeno peppers cut lengthwise
- 1/3 cup softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup shredded sharp old cheddar
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- Put on gloves and slice the washed jalapenos in half then lengthwise
- Using a small spoon, scoop out the seeds and membranes.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, shredded cheese and taco seasoning (add seasoning to your liking)
- Using a spoon, fill jalapenos with the cream cheese mixture.
- Place in the air fryer and bake at 400 F for 6-8 minutes (or until golden)
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving